- Go to http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Primates/Facts/Primateness/default.cfm.
- If the above link isn’t working, try this link: http://web.archive.org/web/20080513195344/http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Primates/Facts/Primateness/default.cfm
- Use this website and the related websites to answer the following questions.
- This assignment is due:
TWF – Tuesday!
MHIII – Monday!
TFIV – Tuesday!
For the students in TFIV and TWF, you can earn up to 5 extra credit points by going to the zoo to answer question 7!
Take a picture of yourself near the primate OR buy a small zoo souvenir OR get a note from a parent/guardian!
- Characteristics of Primates
- What kingdom, phylum, subphylum, class and order do primates belong to?
- What are the defining characteristics of the phylum? Subphylum?
- What are some mammalian characteristics that primates possess?
- Select and list three of the primate characteristics related to vision.
- Select and list three primate characteristics related to hand and limb structure.
- Select and list three primate characteristics related to behavior.
- Select and list three primate characteristics related to reproduction and offspring.
- Of the above characteristics, which ones do humans exhibit? Which ones don’t humans exhibit? (This is NOT listed on the website. Make educated guesses!)
5. Human Classification
- Suborder Haplorhini
- Who are the members of the suborder haplorhini?
- What are some characteristics of the haplorhini that humans exhibit? (You do not need to list them all – select and explain AT LEAST four.)
- Infraorder Catarrhini
- Who are the members of the infraorder catarrhini?
- What is the defining feature of the catarrhini? (Hint: look at what the name means!)
- What characteristics of catarrhini do humans exhibit? Which don’t humans exhibit? (You do not need to list them all – select and explain AT LEAST four.)
- Superfamily Hominoidea
- Who are the members of the hominoid superfamily?
- List and describe four characteristics of the hominoid superfamily.
- Which of these characteristics are present in humans? Which of these characteristics are not present in humans? (You do not need to list them all – select and explain AT LEAST four.)
- Family Hominidae
- Who are the members of the hominid family?
- What characteristics do humans share with other members of the hominid family?
- What characteristics don’t humans share with other members of the hominid family
6. Go to either http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Primates/Facts/Primateness/Differences/.
Compare and contrast prosimians, monkeys and apes based on size, presence of tail, and general appearance.
7. Select a primate profile from those listed on the left-hand side of the page or to this page: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beta/assets/swf/1/primate/primate.swf
a. Describe the physical appearance, means of communication, and another interesting fact of your choosing.
b. Compare and contrast the primate you have chosen with humans. Identify and explain at least three similarities and three differences!