|Chapter||Lecture Notes||Reading Guide||Video Links|
|Chapter 26: Taxonomy and the Tree of Life||Click here for the lecture notes for Chapter 26||Click here for the reading guide for Chapter 26!||Click here for a video for Chapter 26|
|Chapter 27: Bacteria and Archaea||Click here for lecture notes for Chapter 27: Bacteria and Archaea||Click here for the reading guide for Chapter 27||Click here for video about bacteria and archaea|
|Chapter 28: Protists||Click here for the lecture notes on Chapter 28||Click here for the reading guide on Chapter 28||Click here for a video on protists!|
|Chapter 31: Fungi||Click here for the lecture notes on fungi||Click here for the reading guide on fungi||Click here for a video on fungi.|
Labs and Field Trips
- Taxonomy Lab
- Yogurt Lab
- Click for the yogurt_procedure we did in class. Original credit to Kim Foglia.
- Parade of the Kingdoms and Who Am I? Review Sheet
- Supplementary Reading
- “Foraging” chapter from The Omnivore’s Dilemma
Videos Watched in Class
- History of Life on Earth
- Describe the major events of the geologic timescale including the Pre-Cambrian era, Cambrian explosion, and major extinction events.
- Describe Oparin’s hypothesis and the conditions necessary for the Miller-Urey experiments through a virtual lab.
- Describe conditions necessary for abiogenesis and connect cell theory to experimental evidence through a lab.
- List the attributes of the three major domains of life, as well as major kingdoms and phyla/divisions of each and, if given a description of an organism, place it in the appropriate taxon.
- Construct a cladogram for a set of organisms based on morphological and genetic data.
- Describe a generalized features of eubacteria and archaea
- Distinguish between archaea, eubacteria, and cyanobacteria on the basis of respiration and nutrituion.
- Identify common bacterial morphology and describe the differences between gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria through a modeling activity and a lab.
- Identify common protists in pond-water samples and through microscopy.
- Distinguish among plant-like, animal-like, and fungus-like protists.
- Sequence the life cycle of Plasmodium.
- Describe the general characteristics of fungi through a mushroom dissection.
- Describe animal-fungus and plant-fungus interactions.
- Describe and sequence the fungal life cycle through a video and mushroom dissection.